Thursday 16 October 2014

#Tip 4 To find a path we first must climb a tree and see the view

Hello Anxiety,

"Hmm decisions...decisions?"

Life is often made out to be a list of decisions, stacked high and ready to be ticked off. Even the word itself "decision" has become as monstrously daunting and heavy as trying to go to sleep after watching a horror movie (which you told yourself not to watch) or hopelessly attempting to carry all your groceries (which you know you can't) by running madly to the door before the weight keels you over.

As a teen, 'decision making' has been thrown, stuffed and flung down my throat **cough university. Not only that, but now there feels as if there is more pressure to make snap (couldn't resist to click my fingers) decisions. It's hard. And lets face it social expectations for not just us bubbled up teens, but for kiddies and the grownie ups too, seems to be coming to a boil.

Here is where you get your violin out... no I'm joking. What makes my decision making so hard for me personally is my anxiety. Which I hold my hands up and don't doubt has affected everyone at some point. Whether that be trying to avoid that certain someone that has awkwardly blocked your path. Knowing whether to go for it and just 'smile and wave' or to quickly shuffle your butt out of there before they have a chance to see your face.

For me throughout my life so far there has been a clear line between my 'aspirational decisions' and my 'anxious decisions'. How I see it is that you have the things that you would 'in theory' like to do if it were not for that tedious anxiety. And then pretty much all those anxious decisions that build a wall of avoidance we hide behind.

For sure anxiety has clouded my path. Now I can't see the sign that should point me in the right direction. Perhaps others have passed me on this path, but I have been too scared to ask for their help so I am left here.

Feeling anxious of being judged has left my brain "confuzzled" (yes I like to blend words). It is mainly the bad narrator of my mind that makes me procrastinate, make excuses, literally doing anything, but come face to face with that decision.

It is like I'm or we are lost in an endless wood. We are tired, confused. We are all scared. What should we do?  The answer is this... to find a path we first must climb a tree and see the view.

#Tip4

No comments:

Post a Comment